Make a difference in YOUR community!
Volunteer with NAMI Gulf Coast TODAY!
As a non-profit organization, NAMI depends heavily on the reliable support and assistance of volunteers. Here at NAMI, a majority of our programs and services are ran by volunteers, making them the cornerstone of our organization.
“Volunteering with NAMI GC offers an exciting and rewarding opportunity to better the community by bringing attention to mental health. Whether you are supplying others with information about mental health services near them, or sharing your story as an ETS facilitator, you will be taking on an active role in improving the lives of others.” -Hannah Dean, Senior Volunteer & NAMI Gulf Coast Community Outreach Coordinator
Volunteer opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Data Entry & Office Assistance – If you are great with computers or love being in an office setting, stop by our office so we can talk about your potential to help. Tasks may include: entering information from our I&R forms into our GiftWorks database, gathering HelpLine feedback, office organization tasks, etc.
- Website Management: If you have a background in IT or website-building, we need your help to make improvements to our NAMI GC website.
- Social Media Management – If you are a social media guru, come help us manage our Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook accounts!
- Photography – Have an eye for a good shot? Put your talent to good use and help us with event photography, photos for fundraising activities, and more!
- HelpLine – Assist individuals, families, and friends with mental illness with referrals to local services in regards to their needs (*Training required)
- Newsletter Folding – Open Invitation for all volunteers to join us every last Wednesday of the month to prepare monthly newsletter to be mailed.
- Booth Exhibiting – help us spread the word about our services at career fairs and other community events. Tasks include booth setup and take-down, networking, distributing NAMI GC flyers/handouts, collecting contact information from interested volunteers or other parties. (*Some Training Required)
- Education Program Facilitator: We are always looking for individuals who are passionate about spreading mental health awareness.
- Our Ending the Silence program aims to teach students, parents, and school faculty about the warning signs of a mental illness and suicidality, and how to respond if they or a loved one are in need of help. Inspire others who may be struggling by becoming an ETS facilitator or by sharing your story as a family member or individual who has been affected by mental illness. (*Training is required and a teacher stipend may be available)
- We are also looking for facilitators to lead our Partnerships program. Partnerships is an award-winning workshop teaching family members how to manage their loved one’s mental illness. It focuses on boundary-setting, self-care, coping, communication, interacting with mental health providers, system navigation, promoting stability and minimizing crises. (*Training is required and a teacher stipend may be available)
- Events: Assist NAMI Gulf Coast staff during annual support events such as our Summer Luau and Thanksgiving Feast. Tasks may include: greeting attendees, event setup and take-down, food service for guests, facilitating games of bingo or other activities, and more!
How to get started
Fill out the Online Volunteer Application now and send a follow-up email to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com! Or you can print and return the Downloadable Volunteer Application. Completed paper applications can be turned in by email, fax, mail or in-person. For volunteer groups, fill out the online Volunteer Group Inquiry.
For volunteer inquiries, contact us via:
Physical Address: 2206 N. Gordon St. Alvin, TX 77511 (in-person applications can be turned in during business hours or dropped off in the mail slot outside the office door 24 hours a day/7 days a week)
Mailing Address: PO Box 4096 Alvin, TX 77512
Please give us 3 – 5 business days to respond to your inquiry. Once we review your application or inquiry, we’ll contact you about next steps which depend on what area(s) you are interested in as well as your availability. Thank You again for considering volunteering with NAMI Gulf Coast!