COVID-19 Galveston County Resource List
Galveston County Resources
Veteran’s Affairs Outpatient Clinics (Galveston and Texas Cit Locations):
- Veterans must be registered and found eligible to receive services at the VA.
- If you have flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath, call us at 713-794-8985, before you visit your Houston VA or CBOC. Clinical staff are available to provide 24/7 virtual care and support, including nurse advice and triage.
- **At this time Texas City & Galveston Community Based Outpatient Clinics (TCOPC) do not have a personalized pamphlet with information regarding our current clinical operations. All current directives are issued via the MEDVAMC, which can be found on the webpage https://www.houston.va.gov/emergency/index.asp.**
- Daily, our clinical staff are contacting patients by phone to triage and update any supply medication (90 days). The current guidance is to reduce all face to face encounters with patients and offer alternative modality delivery of care (Telework, VVC, Telephone, Secured Messaging). As the COVID-19 situation is constantly changing on a daily bases, we remain flexible with have no permanent plan of operation. Therefore, TCOPC’s operation hours are:
o Monday-Friday: (reduced staffing); appointments via Telework, VVC, Telephone, Secured Messaging
o Hours: 0800-1600;
o Accepting Walk-in for urgent care Only
o Secured Messaging: https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/home
o Texas City Phone: (409) 986-2900 FAX: (409) -986-2910
o Galveston Clinic Phone: (409)761-3200; ext. 11051 or 11052 FAX: (409)761-3209
o Main Medical Center Telecare: (713) 794-8985 or 1-800-639-5137
o After Hours care: call 911 or report to the nearest ER
MI Lewis Social Service Center (Dickinson) [281-534-2043]
- All services still available; allowing 1 client in the building at a time.
- Address of center is 2605 44th Street
Dickinson, TX 77539
Social service and food assistance is made available for Galveston families.
Resource & Crisis Center:
- They are no long taking new shelter residents, but are still serving clients over the phone; their 24 hour toll-free hotline number is 888-919-7233.
Our Daily Bread (409-765-6971)
- Serving premade meal will be distributed 10-12.
- Check mail Monday – Friday
- Clothing/hygiene requests on Wednesday with pick up on Thursday.
- No other services at this time.
Galveston Urban Ministries (409-497-2460)
- Working with community partners to be able to offer services. Nothing available at this time.
United Way of the Mainland
- Website for community resources: http://referral.unitedwayhouston.org/
- For additional resources they also recommend either calling 211 or visiting their website: https://www.211texas.org/
Houston Public Media
- Houston Public Media is helping ensure learning continues in homes through grade-level appropriate educational programming for elementary, middle and high school students, and accompanying free, learn-at-home digital resources.
- The expanded programming begins on Houston Public Media TV 8 on Monday, March 23:
o 6:00 – 8:00 am – Elementary School: Curriculum programming focused on pre-kindergarten – 3rd grade students
o 8:00 am – 1:00 pm – Middle School: Curriculum programming focused on 4th grade – 8th grade students
o 1:00 – 6:00 pm – High School: Curriculum programming focused on 9th grade – 12th grade students
- You can find the new broadcast schedule and more information on the vast library of PBS content accessible to you across various platforms here.
Galveston Police Department
- They are attempting to take as many non-emergency calls such as thefts, fraud, etc by phone
- Dispatchers are screening callers for symptoms of COVID-19 prior to officer arrival
- They are regularly participating in Local, County, and State conference calls to ensure we have up to date information
- We are educating citizens and business about the declarations when potential violations of COVID-19 protocol are observed
- Officers may don personal protective gear when responding to your call, this is only for the safety of both the officer and the public
Gulf Coast Center
- COVID-19 Care Team will be initiated as early as March 24, 2020 to take calls and assist in the redirection of calls received by the Call Center. Purpose of the Care Team: conduct a verbal screening, provide current CDC information, offer local resources including testing locations/phone numbers, and provide emotional support.
- All CONNECT TRANSIT services will be free of charge until further notice to eliminate the handling of money or coupons.
- All outreach was placed on hold as of Monday, March 16, 2020.
- Recovery Individualized Out-Patient (IOP) groups were placed on hold on Monday, March 16, 2020.
- All Social Security and other related benefit in-person appointments for clients served have been rescheduled for the next four weeks or will be completed by phone if applicable.
- Open Access hours were reduced from (8AM to 5 PM) to (8AM to 11AM) on March 18, 2020. Effective March 24, 2020, Open Access Mental Health Screenings will be provided by phone, no longer in-person. Staff providing mental health screenings will receive operational direction by their designated Service Area Director.
- Effective March 24, 2020, OSAR will conduct all services via phone.
- Effective March 20, 2020, all community crisis response will be provided by phone or video. In-person crisis response will continue at Center facilities, following health screening protocols sent out on Monday, March 11, 2020.
- Crisis hotline will screen calls received, effective on March 19, 2020.
- Mental Health Crisis Respite has been reduced to 50% occupancy, effective March 16, 2020.
- Routine face to face service delivery within the community was placed on hold, effective on March 19, 2020.
- All substance use and mental health individual counseling sessions will be conducted by phone, effective March 24, 2020.
- All routine in-person clinic visits for all clinical services (not including medical services) will occur by phone, effective March 24, 2020.
- Medical service delivery has already been limited to critical routine and urgent need. Medical services will follow current protocol while further planning is completed.
- All routine in-person home visits for all clinical services will occur by phone, effective Thursday, March 19, 2020.
- Any in-person services continuing the week of March 23, 2020 are to continue to follow the March 11th health screening protocol. Any clinic and office-based in-person services will continue screening of clients and visitors before providing access to the patient care area.
- The only patients that will be seen in-person for medical services are those identified to require close monitoring due to the severity of their diagnosis, effective March 19, 2020. Anyone seen in-person will first receive a health screening by phone and a second health screening in-person.
- Only legal guardians or one additional necessary person are permitted to attend in-person appointments, effective March 24, 2020.
- Health screening procedures are to include legal guardians and any visitors.
- Genoa Pharmacy Services at MCSC increased prescription mail-out in order to help reduce traffic in the clinics.
- ETBHN medication pick-up is under close review and addressed by location.
Street Scape Ministries (936-590-0722)
- Business as usual
St. Vincent’s House (409-763-8521)
- Will now be open Monday-Thursday 8am-3:30pm and Fridays 8-3pm.
- The food pantry and snack packs will be done via drive thru 9am-2pm behind St. Vincent’s in the alley.
- Emergency assistance interviews will be conducted over the phone. The applications can be found online at stvhope.org and can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact 409-763-8521 for assistance as well.
- The day clinic is available for video and phone call appointments. In clinic visits are at the discretion of the provider. Routine visits are to be delayed for a month. Routine refills may be given if requested without a visit. UTMBs clinic 409-765-2242. COVID19 Hotline -409-765-2236 Monday-Thursday 8am- 3:30pm Monday- Thursday. Fridays 8-3.
- Transportation: The transportation van will not be available until further notice.
Galveston Community Action Council (409-762-8418)
- Public is not allowed in the office. All applications will be done by email or fax.
Turning Point Church (409-934-3033)
- No resources available
Catholic Charities –
- Galveston Pantry Hours: 9:00am -1:00pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
o Please call this number ahead of time for pick-up: 409-762-2064 extension 2103
o Location: 4700 Broadway, Suite F103, Galveston, Texas 77550
o Perishable and nonperishable – pick up only
o Service area: Galveston County, Port Bolivar, Crystal Beach & High Island
- Emergency Financial assistance via phone:
o Contact their Texas City office at: 409.762.2064 x2106
o If they are not available leave a message and someone will contact you within 24 hours.
Moody Methodist Church (409-943-8705)
- No assistance at this time, check back next week
First Lutheran Church (409-762-8477)
- Worship services at noon on Wednesdays and 10 am on Sundays will be live streamed.
Lighthouse Christian Ministries (Bacliff) [281-339-3033]
- Food pantry is operating outside with drive up service Tues 10-2 and Thurs 1-5
- Financial Assistance Wed and Thurs by appointment only
- Pregnancy and parent support (diapers/wipes) Thurs 1-5
Coastal Health and Wellness (409-938-2234)
- They are still seeing current clients, but will not be taking any new clients until July 2020 and they are referring clients in need of COVID-19 testing to the ER.
Access Care of Coastal Texas (409-763-2437)
- Attendance in the building in being limited. All services are being provided over the phone
Family Service Center of Galveston County (409-762-8636)
- Public not allowed in the building. All services including therapy are being offered over the phone
Luke Society Clinic @ Hobo Breakfast
- Cancelled until further notice
Salvation Army (409-763-1691)
- Still accepting new clients but are reaching capacity.
- Dinner will be served at 4:30 for active clients and at 5:00 for general public.
Galveston Housing Authority (409-765-1900)
- Their services still open and are seeing clients at the window; no clients allowed in office
- Office hours are 8-5
Texas Workforce Commission Rehabilitative Services
- Business as usual
Texas Workforce Solutions:
- Closed to the public but providing service virtually and remotely.
- Phone: 979-297-6400, Fax: 979-297-7973, Email: email@example.com.
St. Mary Catholic Church (League City) [281-332-3031]
- Food pantry is drive through only Wed & Thurs 10-12
Interfaith Caring Ministries (Clear Creek and Friendswood ISD only) (281-332-3881)
- Business as usual 8:30-4:30 Mon – Thurs & 8:30-1:00 on Fri. Rental assistance, utility assistance, food pantry
St. Hope Clinic (Dickinson) (713-955-4821)
- Business as usual
Galveston Island Meals On Wheels (409-744-2668)
- Voice mail said they were open 9-1.
Family Promise of Clear Creek (832-932-3963)
- Open 9am-5pm, M-F. Holistic self-sufficiency program for homeless children & their families.
- Must qualify by:
o Telephone Screening
o Intake Interview
o Background Check & Drug Test
- Still conducting Telephone Screenings
- Intake Interviews scheduled toward the end of NEXT week for potential entry in our program beginning March 30th.
Educational Development Research Center: https://www.edc.org/resources-covid-19-crisis
Galveston County news and events:
La Marque notices and resources:
Stores offering Curbside pickup/Drive thru:
- Restaurants offer pick up or delivery only (via store, doordash, grubhub, waitr for free delivery
Galveston Food Bank
Main address 624 4th Avenue N
Texas City, TX 77590
A food box is given to the homebound and disabled. The non-profit assists senior citizens, the disabled, and vulnerable. A key aim is helping people over the age of 65.
Basic Needs Family Assistance Program – Galveston Office
6811 Stewart Road
Galveston, TX 77551
Number – (866)649-5862
Provides basic needs assistance for families and individuals in the community. Learn about government programs such as food stamps and WIC, and find where to get clothing, help for bills, and food from.
Interfaith Caring Ministries
Location – 151 Park Avenue
League City, Texas 77573
Phone – (281)332-3881
The charity helps families living in poverty. Children can get a snack (including during the summer), homeless residents can get a meal, and other assistance is also provided by the emergency food pantry.
West Brazos Cares
Address is 1008-A East Ashley Wilson Road
Sweeny, Texas 77480
Main phone number – 979-548-9000
Applicants for clothing need to live in the Sweeny ISD or Columbia Brazoria ISD. The charity is open Monday and Wednesday for calls from 9:00 am – 11:15 am. Free school supplies, shirts for adults, shoes, and other clothes are available. Kindergarten, middle school, and high school students can get free school items too.