The families and members of NAMI Gulf Coast are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
Mental illness comes in many forms; the most common ones we see are: Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and Schizophrenia. Check out the What is Mental Illness page for more information on these and other mental health conditions.
It is the mission of NAMI Gulf Coast to provide support, education, and service advocacy for families and individuals affected by mental illness. Eliminating the stigma of mental illness is the primary goal for NAMI Gulf Coast. The hope is that one day mental illness will be treated with the same compassion and understanding as any other illness.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- ASSURANCE that we are not alone and are not to blame.
- SELF-HELP by sharing common problems, mutual encouragement, and practical advice.
- INFORMATION about existing mental health care, sources of help in crisis, community services, and available financial aid.
- EDUCATION to overcome stigmas associated with mental illness and to secure a place in society for people with this illness.
- KNOWLEDGE about causes, symptoms, and treatment of mental illness and ways that families can overcome despair and isolation to restore meaning and dignity to our lives.
- ADVOCACY on local, state, and national level to work for legislation and funding to ensure quality in-patient and out-patient care for people with mental illness.